Saturday, August 2, 2008

Weezer - Weezer (Green Album) Deluxe

Deluxe Reissue






Green is my favorite =W= album, but it just doesn't seem to get the respect it deserves. This has something to do with the fact that most obsessive Weezer fans are assholes who bag on Rivers for the high crime of playing guitar solos that mimic his vocal melodies. If these douchenozzles bothered to get over themselves, they might actually have to admit that those guitar solos betray Cuomo's flashier tendencies in service to the songs themselves, which are uniformly excellent on this LP. The other criticism Green gets is that it's too short, clocking in at just under 30 minutes. Well that we can do something about. How about I double the album's length with twelve off-the-hook b-sides and outtakes? Did I mention these are nearly as good as the songs on the LP proper? Shit, some of my very favorite =W= moments are from these songs, ranging from the heavi-tude of "Christmas Celebration" and "Teenage Victory Song" to the gentle, almost longing "Always" and "I Do". Oh, and unlike the overpriced two-disc Deluxe Blue Album, these songs will all fit on a single CD. I'm makin' a case for Green as one of the best albums of this decade. Who's with me?

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fixed: There was some problems with the track tagging (and a glitch on "Hash Pipe") on the last upload. Try this one instead--

    http://www.sendspace.com/file/v3g0eg

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the only Weezer album I like, but I love it. I took a lot of flak for this back in the day, so I find your post very vindicating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! We Green Album fans have to stick together to help vindicate this very fine record!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What were your thoughts on the Deluxe Pinkerton? While I liked getting the B-sides all in one place and in good quality, and getting some of those previously unreleased tracks ... I have to admit that I started to get tired of some of the live performances (which I never thought would be the case). Too much of a good thing, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a bad Weezer fan, and I have yet to buy it. *hangs head in shame*

    I do have a custom SFTBH compilation one of my online friends put together which is pretty badass. "Longtime Sunshine" is on there, which to me is the great lost Weez track.

    Unless you count "I Just Threw Out the Love of My Dreams" which technically was released, I believe, as a b-side.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got a few different SFTBH compilations. I haven't yet purchased a copy of Rivers' "Alone 3" from his website (really wish he'd done a store release of it), but that has some more SFTBH material to plug in the holes.

    I think you'd dig some of the other goodies on the Pinkerton deluxe set. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete