Thursday, March 5, 2009

Here in Your Bedroom - 126 PowerPop Hits of the Modern Rock Era

Compilation (various artist)



Well if the last few months of doing this blog have taught me anything, it's that the people that read it aren't interested in anything recorded after 1982. Try as I might, my last series of offerings (Phantom Planet, Top 100 Hip-Hop Songs and the Wu-Tang Clan EP) were total stiffs, sparking only a handful of downloads and zero total comments. Yet my Who and Beach Boys comps are still flying off the shelves, loosely speaking. I'm starting to sense a pattern here.

Anyway, after tossing around the idea of abandoning this blog entirely, I decided to at least go ahead and share one other comp of songs not hailing from the pre-CD era before giving up all hope. Contained here, 126 of the catchiest Alternative/ AOR/ Modern Rock hits of the last 15 years. If you can't find something to like on these, you'd better check your pulse.



The set starts off with Silverchair's 1995 grunge-gum classic "Tomorrow" and navigates through the highs and lows of mainstream rock radio, ending up on a sullen note with Death Cab for Cutie's 2008 hit "I Will Possess Your Heart". In between, you'll hear dozens of songs you remember but lost track of somewhere along the line, by artists with names like Nada Surf, Spacehog, Semisonic, Kula Shaker, Vertical Horizon, Three Doors Down, My Morning Jacket, Goldfinger, Jimmy Eat World and over a hundred others. If you've ever banged your head along to one of those "Buzz Ballads" ads on TV, this is sorta like that, only like a hundred times better because it contains pretty much anything anyone would want to hear from the years 1995-2008 that got played on Rock and Alternative radio.

We've been spinning this set non stop around my house lately, and you may find yourself doing the same if you give it a chance! Especially recommended as a starting point for those of you who've been hiding under a rock for the last 15 years and want to get caught up: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

12 comments:

  1. Just re-found your place. Some good stuff here. Being a dinosaur, I was down loading your set here and found that disc 6 was no longer available. Any chance for a re-post?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, I went ahead and fixed the link, but here it is again:

    http://www.sendspace.com/file/b4u3xg

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't give up!

    I'm sure people don't download the newer stuff because 1. They already have it or 2. if they do want it, it's available a million other places.

    I have a feeling that if you posted track listings, you'd experience a surge in downloads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Howdy... Just found your blog a week or so ago (via Blank Frank at And Your Bird Can Swing...) and see a lot of great stuff here! Have really enjoyed the first two volumes of your "Obsession Lust & Betrayal" series!

    Any chance you can re-up disc 1 of this series? I am downloading #2 right now... don't know yet about the others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dave, thanks for joining us over here. Come by often and post freely!

    The link for disc one seems to be working for me. Could you try it again and let me know if you still are having problems.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like it's working now! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I'm pushing my luck, but any chance you could re-up this series? It sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sure, I'll try to get those back up. My subscription to SendSpace expired, so I'm often unaware when stuff gets taken down. Thanks for the head's up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never noticed you don't post tracklists...

    probably for the same reason I don't read the synopsis on the back cover a novel I'm considering.

    Cheers
    Obey Gravity

    (Hearts in Atlantis explains it perfectly)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will try to get this one and the Obsession, Lies and Betrayal comps up tomorrow, along with some new stuff!

    ReplyDelete