Pretty self-explanatory, no? We can never get enough of Carole over here at the Sphere, and so of course we were stoked to see not one but two more unreleased Goffin/ King demos pop up on the YouTubes!
In keeping with the theme of our lauded Phases set, we will present the demo version of each, followed by a more recognized commercially released one. Enjoy!
JUST SOME THOUGHTS:
- Interesting to hear Carole use the word "girl" in both songs. We can clearly deduce that these were only meant to be demos by this fact alone.
- I'm guessing Phil Spector didn't really do all that much to garner his co-compositional credit on "Just Once in My Life". The song already sounds fully formed at this early stage.
- Not to give the short shift to Gary Goffin here, but Carole always wrote the melodies and Gary was just a wordsmith, right?
- Also, how sad that Carole never got the chance to record an album of her own prior to The City. Even something along the lines of those quasi-legit first Nilsson or Jimmy Webb albums would be a revelation to hear today.
- Sorry for the drastic volume dip in that Turtles clip. It was the only version of that song on YouTube.
Shoes - 5/10/14, Bell House, Brooklyn, NY
10 hours ago